KYNAR® PVDF Key Facts
Kynar® is a high molecular weight thermoplastic polymer of vinylidene fluoride which is used extensively in the chemical processing industry because of its unique combination of properties. Kynar® possesses excellent corrosion and chemical resistance, is a tough and durable material, and is easily fabricated into many finished parts required by the chemical processing industry.
KYNAR® PVDF may be used in articles intended for repeated contact with food in accordance with extraction and washing conditions as prescribed in Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, Food & Drugs, Chapter F, Pl. 121.2593
Kynar®PVDF is also chemically acceptable for use in processing or storage areas for contact with meat or poultry food products prepared under Federal inspection according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Kynar®PVDF also complies with the criteria in”3-A Sanitary Standards for Multiple-Use Plastic Materials Used as Product Contact Surfaces for Dairy Equipment. Serial No. 2000.”
No adverse toxicological or biological response has been found for Kynar® PVDF when injected into, or placed in contact with, test animals under con trolled conditions. Tests include: acute oral toxicity, inhalation, implantation, tissue culture, systemic, and sub-acute toxicity types.
Key Characteristics of KYNAR® PVDF
- Mechanically strong and tough
- Thermally stable
- High abrasion resistance
- High thermal stability
- High dielectric strength
- Resistance to most chemicals and solvents
- Resistance to ultraviolet and nuclear radiation
- Resistance to weathering
Applications of KYNAR® PVDF
- Process vessels and fluid handling equipment to handle mineral acids, halogens, oxidants, chlorinated organics, bleaching solutions and most aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons.
- Film of high temperature and chemical resistance for solution-metering pumps, and for brick-lined towers.
- Rod and sheeting resistant to chemicals used in the paper manufacturing industry.
- Sheeting for plating and etching tanks, and for water treatment applications requiring resistance to sulfuric acid.
- Chlorine-resistant spray headers.
- Packing support trays.
- Instrumentation and controls equipment.
- Linings: laminated (wet lay-up and sheet) and solid or glass-backed sheet.
- Mist eliminators.
- Motionless mixers.
- Pipe and Fittings: solid Kynar®, lined steel, FRP/Kynar® laminate.
- Pumps: centrifugal, metering, plunger, rotary, sump.
- Stock Shapes: solid and porous rod, sheet and tubing. Also tube fittings.